About Your Snowmobile Tour
Snowmobiling is the Ultimate Oregon Winter Adventure Activity.
Get ready for an adventure! Our guided snowmobile tours are perfect for all levels of experience, from complete beginners to advanced riders. You’ll have the thrill of a lifetime while flowing down mountain trails and taking in the awe-inspiring views. This is the real Pacific Northwest adventure! Our riders tell us this experience was the highlight of their Central Oregon vacation, time and time again. Our snowmobile tours are top-rated and can fill up fast during peak periods. Please book early to avoid disappointment.
We look forward to guiding your snowmobile adventure over beautiful trails and extensive mountain playground!
Directions to 10-mile Sno Park
We’re conveniently located right across the parking lot of Ten Mile Snow Park. Address is Ten Mile Snow Park, Paulina-East Lake Rd., La Pine, OR 97739.
Directions from Sunriver, OR: Drive South on Hwy. 97, turn left onto NF-2120/Paulina-East Lake Rd (“21”), drive up to Ten Mile, right where the road gate is closed for the season. If the Ten Mile Snow Park is full, you may park in our Obsidian Flow Snow Tours only parking on our side of the road.
Parking and Snow Park Permits
Obsidian Flow Snow Tours operates on-site at the Ten Mile Snow Park, which is maintained by the State of Oregon. There is parking available at the snow park across the street from our location. ALL VEHICLES PARKED AT THE SNOW PARK ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A SNOW PARK PERMIT. If you don’t already have a permit, we have daily parking passes available for sale for $7.
Depending on the size of your group, you will be required to arrive at the Ten Mile Snow Park 45-60 MINUTES PRIOR TO YOUR TOUR DEPARTURE TIME, in order to fill out the proper paperwork, inspect the equipment, get your helmet fitted, and receive a riders safety lecture. An email confirmation will be sent to you with your arrival time and trip departure time. Trip times (2-hour, or 4-hour) denotes the actual time on the trail.
A LATE ARRIVAL TIME MAY CUT INTO YOUR RIDING TIME.
DUE TO CURRENT STATE MANDATES RELATED TO COVID, WE ASK THAT YOU KEEP THE RECOMMENDED SOCIAL DISTANCE OF 6’ WHILE COMING IN AND OUT OF OUR MONGOLIAN GER OFFICE.
We will be limiting the amount of people in the ger (aka “yurt”) during check-in. Upon arrival, we ask that only the credit card holders in the group come into the ger to begin the check-in procedure. We will direct you from there.
Requirements and Restrictions
- You do not need prior experience to drive a snowmobile. Each trip begins with a rider’s safety lecture on how to operate the machines, riding techniques, and trail etiquette. You will have the opportunity to get accustomed to the controls and operation of the machine in a small practice snow area before heading out on the trail.
- ALL DRIVERS MUST CARRY A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE WHILE ON THE TRAILS. The Forest Service patrols the trails just like the highways.
- Drivers are required to be at least 18 years old and be a licensed driver. Minors are not allowed to drive.
- Passengers must be at least 6 years old and 48″ in height. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Weight limit on a double seat machine is 400 lbs. and drivers will need to weigh more than the passenger. If there is too much weight on the machines, the shocks will be absorbed and it will be very bumpy and uncomfortable for the person riding on the back. It can also cause additional wear and damage to the machines.
- Anyone with health conditions that could make riding a snowmobile unsafe or dangerous beyond the standard risks involved in operating a motorized vehicle, and anyone who is pregnant or has heart, neck, or back problems, is not encouraged to participate.
- All participants are required to complete and sign a participant agreement/liability waiver form prior to going on their tour. All minors will need to have a parent or legal guardian sign their agreement/waiver form. Participant agreements can be emailed upon request along with the trip confirmation, and will be available for final signature at the in-person orientation & check-in.
** Outside of safety-related requirements and restrictions to participate in our snowmobiling tours, Obsidian Flow Snow Tours values diversity and equality and has a zero-tolerance policy for any type of discrimination. Obsidian Flow and its staff do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations, including but not limited to provision of services, selection of volunteers and vendors, and hiring and firing staff. **
What to Wear
HELMET & GOGGLES: We provide helmets and goggles for all tours; however, we encourage you to bring your own, favorite helmet and goggles if you prefer them. If you have your own helmet, it is required to be one that is approved by the Department of Transportation (DOT). You cannot wear a ski or bike helmet while snowmobiling.
CLOTHING: You must dress for a day on the snow, just as if you were going skiing, snowboarding, etc. Wear winter, base layers, a water-resistant/waterproof coat or jacket, pants/bib and snow boots, and thick, waterproof winter gloves. We will have balaclavas and gloves available for sale on-site if you need them. Balaclavas are $20 and gloves are $45.
** COVID POLICY UPDATE: You must wear something to cover your nose and mouth while wearing our helmets. We recommend that you wear a balaclava or neck warmer under your helmet, which also helps with the cold and wind chill expected while playing outdoors in winter weather. We have balaclavas for sale for $20. Our helmets are disinfected after each use. **
Reservations and Cancellations
In order to confirm a reservation, full payment for the tour is required.
We have a 48-hour cancellation policy on non-holiday days, and 72-hour for holidays and holiday breaks:
Tours on non-holidays or holiday seasons:
- You can make any changes or cancellations up to 48 hours prior to your tour date and you will receive a full refund.
- If you make any changes or cancellations within 48 hours of your tour but BEFORE 5pm the day prior, you can reschedule, take an in-store credit for retail items we may have available, or 50% of the trip payment will be forfeited.
Tours during holidays or holiday seasons:
- You can make any changes or cancellations up to 72 hours prior to your tour departure and you will receive a refund minus a non-refundable 10% fee.
- If you make any changes or cancellations within 72 hours of your tour but BEFORE 5pm the day prior, you can reschedule, take an in-store credit, or 50% of the trip payment will be forfeited.
- No refunds are given for No-Shows. Cancellations after 5pm the day prior to the tour or cancellations the day of the tour are considered a No-Show.
We will contact you via email two days before your tour or earlier, to confirm your reservation and share your tour details and our policies.
If Obsidian Flow Snow Tours has to cancel a tour due to any reason, we will process a full refund.
Credit Card Security Deposit
All snowmobiles must have a credit card information on their checklist form. A security deposit form is required for each machine prior to departure. Please bring a major credit card at the time of check-in. Charges will be processed only in the event you cause damage to the machine, as determined by your Machine Inspection Sheet: prior to departure and upon return, you will inspect the machines just like you would a car rental and note any damages present. You will be responsible for all damages to the machines while they are in your care.
Tour Guide Gratuity
Tips are not required but greatly appreciated by your guide(s).
An 18% tip charge will be automatically added at the time of booking for:
- Groups of 6 or more machines
- All 4-hour tours
- Tours on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day and holiday breaks/seasons.
Otherwise, gratuity is not included in the price of the tour.
Area and Tour Options
The Newberry Caldera is a truly special and one-of-a-kind, National Volcanic Monument with breathtaking landscapes and world-class views, unique geology and history. Discover two lakes, a beautiful waterfall just 10 minutes into your tour if you go that direction, and views of Mount Shasta (CA) and Mount Rainier (WA) from Paulina Peak on a clear day. We enjoy well-groomed trails and less crowds than other, local winter play areas. Tears of joy are common in this true gem we’re are incredible proud to be the only, permitted recreational provider for!
In our tours, our guides will accommodate and adapt the experience and route according to the group’s preferences, experience level, as well as weather, visibility and trail conditions the day of the tour. Tours can take place under most weather conditions and weather-related cancellations should not be expected unless the tour guide determines it’s unsafe for the tour to take place.
If yours is a 4-hour tour, you may have the option to stop for a lunch break at the nearby Paulina Lake Lodge, just let us know that’s what you would like at the time of booking your tour with our office. For lunch reservations and confirmation, please contact the lodge directly.
** Obsidian Flow Snow Tours operates under a special use permit from the Deschutes National Forest and the Oregon State Marine Board.